Every year on October 16th millions of people all over the world stand up to fight and eradicate hunger. The world has enough resources to feed every hungry person out there. We all just have to do our part to contribute. There are many ways you can make a difference from food donations, hold a meal packing event or dinner, attend hunger walks, even start a food drive or grow your own food and donate to families or organizations that need your help, even if it’s only in your own community.
Did you know:
- “Almost 5 million children under the age of 5 die from malnutrition-related causes every year.”
- “4 in 10 children in poor countries are malnourished, damaging their brains and bodies.”
- “60% of the hungry in the world are women.”
- “If women farmers had the same access to resources as men, the number of hungry people in the world could be reduced by up to 150 million.”
- “1.3 Billion tons of food grown for human consumption is either lost or wasted each year.”
It’s sad to think that the US is one of the riches countries in the world and able to produce enough food to feed every American in this country but still 14.3% still go hungry. That’s 1 in 7 Americans!!! I hope some of these statistics inspire you to make a difference today and in the future. Together we can end hunger in our lifetime, we all just have to do our parts!
*** All quotes and stats were obtained from the World Food Day website and from “FAO” (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.) If you would like more information, to find events in your area, or even how you can help on personal or communal level please visit their site.**** http://ift.tt/16fHGnu.
via Farm, Foodie and Fitness http://ift.tt/1jGIoag http://ift.tt/16mICIc